All users have a few options for sharing models outside the app (see Share a model), but if you belong to a team, you can share models with your fellow team members within the app as well (one of the many benefits of our School and Business plans). This is accomplished through model permissions.
About model permissions
When you belong to a team, My Library is divided into two sections: Private and Team.
The models that appear in these two sections are determined by the permissions setting that team members selected when saving the model to My Library.
Anytime you save a model, you are asked to select from the following permissions settings:
- Private: Only you will be able to view your model — in the "Private" section of My Library. Other members of your team will not be able to view or edit your model.
- Team - View Only (default): The other members of your team will be able to view your model and, if they want, make a copy of it, but they will not be able to edit it.
- Team - View & Edit: The other members of your team will be able to view and edit your model. This setting is not recommended for most users, but it can be helpful if you are collaborating on a model with a colleague or peer.
All team models are set to "Team - View Only" by default to encourage sharing but prevent team members from accidentally editing each other's work. But you can change this setting when you first save your model – or anytime you want.
Change a model's permissions
To change your team sharing settings for a saved model, take the following steps:
- Log in to your account and find the saved model whose team sharing settings you would like to change.
- Hover over the model and click the more options icon at the bottom of the model's tile.
- Select Manage from the drop-down menu.
- In the pop-up window under Permissions, make your new selection.
- Click Save.
- Administrators can change the permissions settings for any model in the "Team" section of My Library.
- Creators can change the permissions settings for both 1) models they originally added to My Library (i.e., models they own) and 2) models added by other team members with "Team - View and Edit" permissions.
- Viewers cannot change the permissions settings for any models.
Learn more about team member roles and permissions here.
*Teams and team sharing are available to School and Business plan customers only. Learn more in What subscriptions do you offer?