Human Studio is a suite of authoring tools in the BioDigital Human web app that enable you to create customized 3D interactive views of anatomy and health conditions tailored to your educational goals.
To open a model in Studio, take these two simple steps:
Hover over the model in Explore or your Dashboard.
Click Customize in Studio in the upper-right corner of the model's tile.
Once your model is loaded in Studio, use our authoring tools to:
- Isolate specific anatomical structures
- Update your model’s starting position
- Update your model’s thumbnail images
- Add interactive labels to your model, or edit existing labels
- Apply paint and effects to specific structures in your model
- Revise your model’s titles and descriptions
- Add 2D images to your model's labels and/or chapter descriptions
- Change your model's background color
Isolate anatomical structures in your model
In order to emphasize specific anatomical systems, regions, or structures in your model, you may need to hide other structures. There are two ways to hide structures in Human Studio:
- Select Hide in the toolbar at the top of the page, and then click on the structure(s) you want to hide in the 3D model itself.
- Hide the structure using the Anatomy Tree. For instructions, see Use the Anatomy Tree to customize anatomical structures: Hide/Show.
Update your model's starting position
Every model and tour chapter in the BioDigital Human library has a default starting position. This means when the viewer enters the chapter, the model will appear in a specific position in 3D space.
To update the starting position of your model or chapter to reflect any updates you've made to your model, see How do I update my model's starting position?
Update your chapter thumbnail
When you press the Capture button beneath your chapter to update your chapter's position, this automatically updates the thumbnail associated with your chapter (i.e, the image that gets displayed for your chapter when you load your model in View or publish it outside of the BioDigital Human).
If you'd like to update only your chapter's thumbnail, click on the arrow next to Capture and select Capture Thumbnail Only.
Add labels to your model, or edit existing labels
Use interactive labels to emphasize and provide more information about a specific anatomical structure or group of structures. To learn more about editing existing labels or adding your own, see the following articles:
- How do labels work in the BioDigital Human?
- Add a new label to a model
- Edit a label in my model
- Reposition a label in my model
- Remove a label from my model
Paint your model
There are two ways to “paint” anatomical structures:
- Select Paint in the toolbar at the top of the page, select a color or effect in the palette on the right side of the page, and then click on each structure in the 3D model.
- Select your structures using the Anatomy Tree first, and then apply colors and effects to those selected structures. For instructions on how to paint with the Anatomy Tree, see Use the Anatomy Tree to customize anatomical structures: Paint.
Revise your model's titles and descriptions
Every model in the BioDigital Human library comes with a model title and description, and tours additionally come with chapter titles and descriptions, all of which you can edit or replace as desired in Human Studio. When you publish your model, only the chapter titles and descriptions will be displayed in your embedded model, not the model title.
To enable or disable the chapter titles and descriptions in your published model, make sure you deselect the Informational Panel option in your Publish settings. Keep in mind that this will also disable the Label List and Chapter List in your published model, as these are contained within the information panel.
To edit the title and description text associated with your model or tour:
- Select the chapter whose text you want to edit:
- If your model has multiple chapters, all of them will appear in the Chapters panel on the left side of the page. Click on the chapter you want to edit to make it the active chapter.
- If your model only has one chapter, this chapter will already be selected in the Chapters panel.
- Click on the Edit Text button in the Chapters panel.
- Here, in the text manager, you can modify your model's title and description, or the title and description for each chapter in your tour. When you're finished making changes, click Done.